Wednesday, July 6, 2016

White River 50 mile training run - Sun Top Mountain

I am getting ready for the White River 50 Mile Endurance Run! Last weekend I went on a training run that covered the second half of the course. We started at the west end of Skookum Flats and headed east on the Skookum Flats trail. It is a lovely undulating trail in the trees and along the White River. After about 6 miles we arrived at Buck Creek campground. From there, we started heading uphill - to the top of Sun Top Mountain. It was about a 2,000 foot climb. At the top, the clouds separated and Mt. Rainier came into view! There was also an aid station up there, and a lookout tower. I took advantage of the outhouse before continuing down the trail and back to the car. I peed blood and things went downhill from there. I'm not just talking about the trail either. My abdomen hurt so bad that I walked the last couple of miles. It was disappointing, to say the least. I was discouraged and wondered if I would be able to do the training run the following weekend the first half of the course). I decided to do the prudent thing and headed to urgent care to find out what was going on.

Our group gathered at the start of the run.

Beautiful trail along Skookum Flats.

Starting to climb up Sun Top Mountain.

View of Mt. Rainier at the top of Sun Top!

Aid station at the top of Sun Top.
The urgent care clinic sent me to the ER where I was chided for being a little dehydrated. But what can you expect after running 25 miles?! They confirmed I had blood in my urine and that it wasn't rhabdomyolysis, but it left me puzzled. Since I've had kidney stones before, it was possible that I passed a stone and it irritated the urethra on it's way out. I'm just hoping it doesn't happen again. I really don't like trying to run in that much pain! Before I left the ER, they gave me a sandwich and pumped me full of fluids.

 





No comments:

Post a Comment