Sunday, July 10, 2016

Backpacking in the Cascade Mountains



I have been training for a 50 mile trail run at the end of the month.
 
My hubby has been working out of town most of the summer.
 
Between work, kids, and running, I've been busy! But I managed to squeeze in a backpacking trip with friends and my kids. We drove to Crystal Mountain on a Thursday and parked. We started our hike under a chair lift heading east. There was a lot up uphill involved and many rest/snack breaks. After 7 miles, we arrived at Basin Lake.




 
As a 5 year old, I hiked to Basin Lake with my family. It brought back so many memories. It was just as beautiful as I remembered it.

After the kids got ready for bed, they played cards in the tent. And us moms stayed outside with a cup of wine! 

Family photo on "the rock."
Same rock in 1973 with my dad and sisters. I am the one in the red sweater.
 
The next day started out cloudy. We packed up and headed up the trail to our next camp spot, Big Crow Basin. It is the most amazing meadow with streams meandering everywhere through it.


This lean-to was in much better shape 45 years ago. I was amazed that it was still standing!

Meadow at sunrise.

Eating breakfast in the "kitchen" that the kids made.
We hiked out on Saturday via the Norse Peak trail. It was a wonderful, restorative, but short, trip. We did not see anyone else out there. I can't wait to go again.

No comments:

Post a Comment