Monday, April 13, 2015

Vacaton workout routine

Sometimes, I wish I had all day every day just to train. Unfortunately, those days only come when I am on vacation. At home, I feel lucky if I run more than twice a week and do my three stretches twice a day.

Here is what I am doing while on vacation:
1) Run every other day. I got my long, weekend run in yesterday. I went out for two hours. My remaining runs while on vacation will be closer to 30 minutes with speed training. (I run every other day rather than every day to reduce the risk of stress fractures.)

I started my long run early in the morning when it was dark. I wanted to run during the coolest time of the day. I carried about 10 ounces of water with Nuun in it, and a Gu packet.

I took this bike path along the road.
 
After it got light and the road ended, I ran along this sand-packed path.
 

I finally popped out on the beach and ran back "home" on the beach.

2) Stretch for longer than the usual 3 minutes. I head to the pool in the morning and pick out lounge chairs for my family, and hang out there for about a half hour while the fam finishes eating breakfast. I spend this time stretching. In addition to my regular stretches of calves, hamstrings, and thighs; I am also stretching on my hips.

Stretching my left hip.

3) Strength training. Up to this point I haven't done any strength training, except for pelvic floor exercises daily in the shower. I began doing planks this week. I can barely hold the position for 30 seconds, and I am only doing three sets (for a total of 90 seconds). I can feel some sore core muscles--I have such a weak midsection! I am looking forward to seeing progress with the planks.
Planks. Working on my form and stamina.
I am also doing clamshells (hip external rotation). These were recommended to me years ago by a physical therapist. Their purpose is to strengthen the gluteus muscles, so the glutes can take some of the workload off of my hamstrings.
I use an elastic band to add resistance. This exercise can also be done without a band. Either way, you need to consciously contract your glutes while rising your knee. I put my hand on my hip to remind myself to rotate only at my hip and not my whole body.

4) Swim on the days I'm not running. There are three pools at this condo to choose from, and they are all pretty big. I like to swim because the underwater isolation makes me feel like I am in my own little world.
Pool for morning laps.

5) Relax. Need to give body time to recover and get stronger between workouts! I like to sit by the pool for an hour and do a little reading. Right now, I am going through Max Lucado's "Traveling Light." It is a great reminder of what Paul was trying to say in  Psalm 23.

 
 
The Lord is my shepherd;
I shall not want.
He makes me to lie down in green pastures.
He leads me beside the still waters.
He restores my soul;
He leads me in the paths of righteousness
For His name's sake.
 
Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,
I will fear no evil;
For You are with me;
Your rod and Your staff, they comfort me.
 
You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies;
You anoint my head with oil.
My cup runs over.
Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me
All the days of my life;
And I will dwell in the house of the Lord
Forever. (NKJV)
 
I hope you are having a fantastic spring break, too!

No comments:

Post a Comment