Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Sky Pilot 18K (although my GPS says it was 20K)

 
This was an amazing race. Last Sunday was the inaugural running of the Sky Pilot. It was supposed to be 25K but they shortened it to 18K when they couldn't build a longer safe trail, and then the course was changed again to just around 19K or 20K. They said it rained, and streams and waterfalls showed up out of nowhere so the loop course was nixed for an out-and-back in the interest of keeping runners safe.

The race director was all about being safe. Here is the list of items we had to carry with us (just in case we went off course and had to spend the night out there).
Mandatory Gear Items Are:
1) Whistle
2) Jacket
3) Buff or Toque
4) Gloves
5) Cell Phone
6) Space Blanket
7) Working Headlamp or Flashlight
8) Matches or Lighter
9) Evidence of Having Carried 600 Calories From Aid Station
10) Evidence of Having Carried Two Liters of Water From Aid Station
11) Printed Course Map

The race director was also all about making it the hardest race you'll ever want to run. I thought the turn around would be at a saddle that I could see high above us. Boy, was I wrong! After we ascended to that saddle, we climbed the mountain next to it! And that is where the views were incredible.
Here is a video at the highest point in the race.
 
This video is at the turn-around, just below the highest point.

This course was challenging. There was a lot of waiting during the first 2 miles. There were ropes to aid in getting up the trail and it took some time to get everyone through those sections.

These were the lines waiting to go up the ropes.
 
Here was a rope section.

Other challenges included rocky trails and boulder fields. One section was a scramble up switchbacks in loose duff. One the way down, I pretty much "skied" down. I didn't have any traction in the slippery stuff so I was happy to just slide down.

Is this a river bed? No, it's really the running trail.
 
Here is one of the boulder fields. There are people in this picture but they are so small you can't see them very well (that's how big these rocks are).
 
Another boulder field. I did pretty good on they way down through these and passed a few people. My legs were pretty tired and I was a little worried about twisting an ankle or breaking a wrist on the way down. This was about the time that I realized it probably wasn't a good idea to run a half marathon the day before this race.
 
Aid station 2.5K before the end. I was soooo happy to see these folks and to eat some potato chips.
 
There were tons of blueberries everywhere. Near the top, a course monitor was hanging out, picking berries, and offering them to us as we ran by. By the way, I knew I was in a foreign country because I never heard so many "eh?"s in my life. Canadians have to end every sentence with a question . . eh?
 
The finish line was at the top of the Sea to Sky gondola and Summit Lodge. I crossed the line with my son running beside me, and then the race director gave me a big 'ol bear hug. It almost made me tear up.
Here's my hug, with my son looking back.
 
 
This cool suspension bridge is also near the finish line.
 
This race is part of the Coast Mountain Trail Series and I would really like to do another one of their races soon. I'm afraid to admit that to my husband . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment