Sunday, August 24, 2014

Cutthroat Classic


I had an amazing weekend in the Methow Valley. My family and I spent a few nights with our friends at their home near Mazama. My kids LOVE it at their house and enjoyed playing with their older kids.

Husband and I ran the Cutthroat Classic on Saturday. This is our third time running this awesome trail race. It is 11 miles and includes 2,000 feet of elevation gain. Because it is only 11 miles, it did not count toward my 52 half marathons in one year. But the views at the top are breath-taking and it was worth fitting this race into my schedule.

Here is a video that I took at the top of Cutthroat Pass.
 
The race starts at Rainy Pass on the North Cascades Scenic Highway (Hwy 20). It climbs up to Cutthroat Pass on the Pacific Crest Trail, and then descends to Cutthroat Lake and heads out to the Cutthroat Creek Trailhead. Andy started in the first wave. I started 6 minutes behind him in the third wave.
 
This is Andy warming up at the start line. Yes, he's wearing a pair of jeans shorts and a cowboy hat.
 
After about 2 miles, the trail broke out of the trees and I could see Cutthroat Pass. It is the saddle in the middle of this picture.
 
Andy at the top of Cutthroat Pass, still smiling.
 
Eventually, I arrived at the pass.
 
There was one and only one aid station. It was about 1 or 2 miles beyond the pass. My friend, Allison, was a volunteer. (She's on the right!) 
 
The aid station is made possible by pack horses that carried the water and other items up to this point.
 
I look forward to doing this race again sometime!
 
 
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment