Sunday, March 27, 2016

Cottontail 6-hour race

(Photo by Glenn Tachiyama)
 
I ran the Cottontail 6-hour trail race yesterday. The race is run on a 1.9 mile loop in a park in Seattle. Put on by the same folks, Endless Trails, that did the Carkeek 12-hour race last October. The only difference from the October race was that we ran clockwise instead of counter-clockwise. We were so fortunate to have nice weather! The sun was shining!! (It rained the next day, Easter Day.)
 
I started out the morning with my friend, Van. We had been planning for this race for weeks, and prepared some Easter bunny costumes to wear. Van ran more miles at this race than she'd ever run before. That is an amazing feat considering how hilly the course is!! I managed to run 12 laps, plus a short half-mile lap at the end, for a total of 23.7 miles. My Garmin says I did 4,300 feet of elevation gain. Did I mention it was hilly?
 
Me and Van before the start of the race.
Similar to the Carkeek 12-hour race, I enjoyed meeting new people on the trail. There were a lot of people out walking their dogs. I loved meeting each one (canines as well as their owners). I met Mandy, from Mandy's Running Blog. She is preparing for a 100 mile race in July.
 
A picture of Mandy taking a picture of me.
I'm so glad I participated in this race. I really enjoyed it!
 
(Photo by Glenn Tachiyama.)
 After I was finished running, I went hunting for a few letterboxes in the park. I found three of them! You can read more about letterboxes here.
 
So long folks! (Photo by Glenn Tachiyama)
 

2 comments:

  1. Hi Maryann!! It was so lovely to meet you at Cottontail. It was a wonderful day. I haven't got round to writing my piece yet. It's lovely to read yours and find your blog. Hopefully see you again before too long. xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been wondering how the rest of your day went! I look forward to reading your blog post, and following your training for the Sinister 7. That is a big undertaking!!

      Delete