Monday, May 23, 2016

Sun Mountain 50K

(Photo by Ross Comer)

I was looking forward to this run for a looonnng time. I had never been to Sun Mountain. What better way to see it than to run the trails around it, right? And it is a Rainshadow Running race. That, alone is reason enough to do the race. They have the most scenic, challenging, and well organized races.
 
I drove to the Methow Valley the morning of the race. I had to get up really early because it was a 4 hour drive and the race started at 8 am. My plan was to check in at the campground in Winthrop after the race and drive home the next day. I figured I would be too exhausted to chauffer myself home.
 
Arrived at the start with a little time to spare. Wearing a jacket to keep warm.
 
It was overcast all day, so I didn't get those beautiful, sunny pictures that I had seen from other years. It was actually a very nice temperature for the run! The course was on dirt roads and trails. One trail was actually a mountain bike downhill single track trail with banked turns. We ran in the trees, in meadows, along a lake, up a mountain, down a mountain. And there were flowers. They were blooming purple and yellow.
 
The trail was lovely, running along the bluffs.


Aid station, my happy place.

Some fence crossings involved climbing a ladder.


Others used a more traditional method, a gate.
 
Photo by Ross Comer
 
A view from the top of Patterson Mountain.
 
Selfie with the Ross, the real photographer.

Selfie with James Varner, the race director.
 
I finished the race in 6:43, much faster than I expected. It was still early and I felt good, so I drove home rather then staying overnight at the campground. I made it in time to see my daughter's performance in the school play! My car has served me well for almost 30 years, and on the way home we hit the 300,000 mile mark!
 
 
My husband calls my car "Precious" and believes I regard it a little too highly. How could he think such a thing?! Ha, ha.
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment