Monday, May 2, 2016

Running with Youngsters

 
I wrestle with how far my child should run, and how often, and on what surfaces.
 
My unscientific observations are these:
1) People who have run most of their life, aren't running when they are in their 60s, maybe even 50s. Maybe some of them quit running because are just burned out on running. But the people I know do not run because their body has suffered irreversible running injuries.
2) People I've met that are running in their senior years started running when they were 40 or 50 years old. They haven't yet worn their bodies out!

My un-researched belief is young bodies are growing and shouldn't be pushed to run very far. Take gymnasts, for example. It is not unusual to retire at 17 years old, because they have worn their bodies out (blown knees, blown backs, etc). Maybe I am comparing apples to oranges here. But I don't want my child to damage joints and tendons while they are still trying to grow and form.

I think 3 miles is far enough for any kid to run, and that includes high school kids. I often read on social media about pre-teens completing half marathons, and qualifying for the Half Fanatics. That is a big accomplishment! And I am excited for them, and I also cringe. I think the exercise is good but they could choose a lower-impact activity to get their cardio-vascular workout.

With all of that said, I've let my daughter run up to 5 miles on a trail with me. I am hoping the softer surface (vs. a paved rode) is more forgiving on her bod. Her training is minimal to avoid putting on too many miles. We run 1 to 2 miles together on a rubber track once a week.

I wonder if there is anyone else out there that thinks kids shouldn't run too many miles before they become adults.

No comments:

Post a Comment