Thursday, October 9, 2014

Leavenworth Marathon

My first marathon in almost 2 decades. I was a little nervous. Recently, I finished a half marathon and I thought to myself that I couldn't imagine doing it all over again!

I was hurting in my joints around mile 20 and really feeling it around mile 23. But this race ended up being very fun! I ran with some really entertaining women.

I remember doing the Disney World Marathon sometime around 2004 and it took me over 5 hours to finish. Beyond that, I don't remember what my other past marathon times were exactly. I ran the whole way on this one and finished in 4:34. I think it might be a PR!

Before the start of the race, (left to right) Sarah, April, Tina, me. We loaded onto school busses in Leavenworth at 6am and drove 10 miles up Icicle Creek Road where we were dropped off in front of these port-a-potties.
 
The sun was just about to rise when the race started at 7am.
 
Running down Icicle Creek Road.
 
Santa was on the course to direct us at a turn.

We crossed bridges.

At the finish. This was Sarah's 7th marathon in 2 weeks! Tina set a new PR by something like 20 minutes! And April (not pictured) qualified for the Boston Marathon! I was in good company.
 
I am now a Marathon Maniac!
 
 
Two days after the race I developed a pain in the ball of my foot. I visited my podiatrist and learned I have an inflamed metatarsal joint. I am now taking an anti-inflammatory, icing a lot, and resting. I guess I won't be running the 30K trail run at Point Defiance this weekend! I want to be ready for Dog Lake Marathon in less than 2 weeks. 

"Resting" in a boot, and my new Hoka running shoe. I am hoping the Hokas will provide cushion so I can run while I am recovering.

No comments:

Post a Comment