Friday, October 24, 2014

Dog Lake Marathon


Dog Lake Marathon - what a beautiful course! It started just east of White Pass on Hwy 12 and headed east, downhill. I ran in my new Hokas (shoes). I know it is not smart to try something new in a race, but I felt like I didn't have a choice. I could run in my old shoes and I was sure not to finish with my foot injury, or I could run in the Hokas and maybe have a chance to finish. This was one of those rare times that trying something new worked! I was able to cross the finish line, but not without some issues. The shoes rubbed my feet in new places where I didn't have calluses--superficial, no big deal.

The hardest thing for me was dealing with Hwy 12. The road is canted and my right knee hurt. I tried to go to the part of the road that was flattest without running down the middle of the road. The next best place was as far off the road as possible and next to the guard rail. I was afraid that I was doing some lasting damage to my knee, but it didn't hurt the next day. Luckily, we detoured off of Hwy 12 for a few miles on some back roads and that was nice.

The views along the course were picture-worthy!


 I met the youngest aid station volunteer.

 
With this race under my belt, I qualified for the Marathon Maniacs! I am not sure when I'll be ready for another marathon though. My injured foot started hurting again a few days after the race. I am back in the boot for a week of rest, taking anti-inflammatories, and icing several times a day.


No comments:

Post a Comment