Sunday, August 9, 2015

Unexpected Break

I took an unexpected, month-long break from running, and from writing about running. No, I didn't get injured. That would have been easy to recover from. I would have set up a treatment plan and followed it. Instead, my mom passed away last month, and I don't have a treatment plan and I don't know how to recover.

I haven't felt like running. My whole body aches as if I have the flu. I am ashamed that I disappointed my Ragnar Relay team by not doing the Northwest Passage race with them. I dropped out of the White River 50 mile race. The race director, Scott McCoubrey, was compassionate and is holding my registration until next year's race. I've also let the Fat Dog director know that I won't be doing the 70-miler next weekend. They suggested that I run it in honor of my mother next year. That doesn't make sense to me because my mom wasn't a runner nor was she a big supporter of my running.

My daughter has also not been a supporter. She does not like me being away running all of the time. But last week she realized something wasn't right and made me run by making up a new "family fitness program." She took us to the track and we ran around it five times.

I suppose I was due for a little break. I've been running steadily for the last two years, and increasing my mileage.  Last fall, my podiatrist had suggested that I take one month off each year. Taking a break while I'm training for ultra races is probably not what he meant.

This week, we went on our annual backpacking trip to the ocean with friends. I went for a trail run while we were at the beach. I have found that my emotional strength weakens when I run. I broke down, and it was hard to run while I was sobbing and gasping for air. I did six miles. That doesn't seem like much at a time when I should be breezing through 20-milers.

I guess my break is over and I should get back to training for my next race.

My mom and I in the front, hitting the trail in the morning. I grew up hiking and I love being in the mountains.
Here is my latest creation documenting our backpacking trip this week.





No comments:

Post a Comment