Thursday, May 28, 2015

Pigtails Challenge 100K


I did my first 100K last weekend. I could not have picked a better race to do it! The course was approximately 9 mile laps (six of them) around Lake Youngs reservoir, plus a 6 mile out-and-back. The volunteers were very helpful and supportive, and the other runners were supportive, too! There was a big variety of food and drink at the aid stations. The aid stations were at the start of each lap and half way around. It was a very well organized race!

Aid station half way around the 9 mile loop. These guys were getting set up for the nighttime shift. They had for great music pumping for us.

The path was mostly gravel road with a little bit of single-track trail. It was undulating and I liked that.



We had to switch directions for each lap. There were helpful signs at the start of each lap to guide us. 

 
I had some friends join me around 9am after I had gone about 15 miles. They did a great job of chatting and generally keeping my mind off of the running part. (Just to be clear here - the race rules said you are allowed only 2 pacers at a time, and I only had 2 on the course. Sheila and Lesa ran, and Tami coordinated the whole effort while putting a few miles in by herself.)

Me, Sheila, Lesa, Tami, and Baxter after running my second loop.
After my friends left, I ran loops 3 and 4 alone. I got a text from Lesa (Yes, I carried my cell phone with me in my running vest pocket so I could take pictures.) She reminded me, "Remember to eat and drink and pee!" I did just that, but I was getting tired and I pretty much walked loop 5. I picked up my iPod and turned on the tunes for that lap. Still, my attitude was getting a little negative. I believe it was because I was getting low on fuel. I had been eating all day to try to stay on top of it but I was falling behind. At the aid stations, I munched on potatoes, potato chips, crackers, pretzels, PowerBar Energy Blasts, avocado wrapped in tortillas, strawberries, and a ham & cheese sandwich. While I was on the trail, I had gels (Gu and Carb Boom) and chewy stuff  (Cliff Shot Blocks) and non-sweet stuff called Electro-Bites. Initially, I had a bottle of Tailwind drink and a backpack with water. Then, I switched my bottle to the Gatorade they were serving at the aid stations. I am not sure how to take in more calories but that will be something I will focus on in training.
 
I was so thankful for the Electro-Bites! They are crunchy but they also kind of dissolve in your mouth. I loved that they tasted different (not sugary) and their texture was different. 
My friend sent me samples of all of the flavors of Electro-Bites. I think my favorite is Apple Cinnamon. You can order them online here.
Before the start of my 6th and last loop, I took a longer rest and ate more. It was about 7pm and they were serving chicken noodle soup at the aid station. My husband showed up to do the last lap with me. I appreciated him so much for doing those last miles with me as it got dark out! And, surprisingly, I felt great for the last half of the loop. I was almost sad that I was finishing. It was a whole different game when it got dark--very quiet and calm and peaceful. 
At the end of the race, with an aluminum can I found along the way.
After I finished, I went home and took a shower and went to bed. I was so happy to have my first 100K under my belt!


2 comments:

  1. Congrats! It was nice running the first out and back with you. You looked strong every time I saw you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Christy. And thank you for sharing your knowledge with me during those miles. I still haven't tried out my new running gators. But I saw Monte last weekend wearing gators and using safety pins!

      Delete