Thursday, July 17, 2014

Family Backpacking Weekend

I intentionally did not sign up for any races last weekend so we could go backpacking. We headed up to Summit Lake by Mt. Rainier. I have never been there before so it was great to check out a new place. It was an easy 3 mile hike with gradual elevation gain. We tried to get there Friday and spend 2 nights but we didn't leave home early enough on Friday. We made it as far as my parents' house and spent Friday night there. We spent Saturday night at the lake (full moon!) and headed back home on Sunday.

There was snow and the kids loved playing in it, especially to cool off in the heat. We hiked to the top of Summit Peak 2 times, too.

It felt soooo good to get out in the mountains. We will be doing our annual hike to the coast on the Olympic Peninsula in September and I am looking forward to that. However, I wish we could go up in the mountains again but I am racing every weekend from now until the end of September (except for the coast trip).
The crew.
 
Floating on an ice burg!
 
 
On top of Summit Peak.
 
Visiting my mom Friday night.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment