Tuesday, June 17, 2014

#38 and 39 - Weekend of Trail Runs and HYDRATION PACKS

I have realized that since getting into the summer season with the nicer weather that I am enjoying my races more. It is not that I didn't like the winter races, but there is just something about the sun that improves my outlook on things.

I ran the 14.47 mile Cougar Mountain trail series race on Saturday. They have a long course and a short course series every summer. The race I did was part of the long course. I don't think I've ever run a Cougar Mountain series race before but as I was driving to the start, I noticed it all looked VERY FAMILIAR. I have no idea when or why I was there before but I'm sure I've been there. It was a hilly course with 2,650 feet of elevation gain. I came across several trail intersections but I never felt lost because the course was well marked. Anytime I needed some reassurance that I was going to right way, I just looked up and saw a "confidence streamer" hanging from a branch. There were a couple of aid stations that were well stocked with fluids and gels and manned by friendly volunteers . There was pizza and more food waiting at the finish line. I have a new-found respect for anyone that does this series, long or short course! It was a beautiful place to run with nice smooth trails albeit a little steep with lots of switch-backs.

I loved the trails at Cougar Mountain. They are pretty smooth and soft.

I've started carrying a camera with me on my races. You can see it in my right hand. The strap is around my wrist and then I twist the strap once and grab the end of the camera with my fingers. Now I can take "selfies" during the run!

On Sunday, I ran the Lake Youngs 19 miler. It was a small home-grown race and super cool. The Race Director made chicken quesadillas for everyone at the finish!

Lake Youngs is a reservoir with a 9.5 mile dirt and gravel path around it. The race was 1, 2, or 3 laps (I did 2 laps). The 1st and 3rd laps were clockwise and the 2nd lap was counter clockwise. So, you got to see your fellow runners often. Tami and her furry friend, Baxter, joined me for the first lap. She was planning on running 7 or 8 miles last weekend on her own but at the last minute decided it would be more enjoyable to do 9.5 miles with me. That suits me fine since I love to run with company! My furry friend, Hero, did both laps with me. We saw 6 deer in the reservoir as we ran. I did some walking uphill probably because of all of the steep hills I ran the day before. But I was happy I made it the whole 19 miles. I don't think I've run that far since 1998 when I did my last Ironman.

Hero and Baxter after the run. They look much more refreshed and energetic than I did at this point.

HYDRATION PACKS: I realized after Saturday's race that I need to start preparing for a race in August that I signed up for. It will be 21 miles and 6,000 feet of elevation gain. It could be hot and it is a remote race so I am going to need to carry a bit more water and fuel with me.

I went shopping Saturday afternoon for a pack that would facilitate carrying more. I shouldn't have been surprised to find that they make gender specific models. And now I know why--the bottles in the front pockets on the men's model hang low, right over my breasts. Just what I wanted--water bottles extending from the ends of my ta-tas. I quickly moved on to the women's models where the bottle pockets are higher, but I found that some vests pulled my boobs together to make some real cleavage. That's not what I was going for either! I also noted that some packs come with a bladder in the back pack and some don't so you  have to buy the bladder separately.

I visited 3 stores before I found the one I wanted. It is a Jenny pack made by Ultra Vesta. I wore it for my Sunday race. I figured I could take it off after the first lap if it was bothering me. I ended up wearing it the whole time! It was THAT comfortable. Now I can put my camera in one of the front pockets.
My new "Jenny" hydration pack by Ulta Vesta. This pack did not come with a bladder in the back pack but I have one at home from a camel back pack that I can use.


No comments:

Post a Comment